|NJ Department of Education|
|State Board of Education|
|GSCS Data & Charts|
|GSCS Email-Nets Archive|
Garden State Coalition of Schools/GSCS
Non-Partisan, Non-Profit Education Advocacy Organization
GSCS is an association of approximately 100 school districts that serve 300,000 students. GSCS advocates at the state level for quality public education for New Jersey's children, and additionally serves the public by maintaining high-level information services .
GSCS is led by a highly motivated, volunteer membership and is grassroots in its decision-making .
What Does GSCS Believe?
- A permanent commitment to improving education without diminishing quality
- A broad perspective that reflects the concerns of educators, lay leadership and communities and parents
- Focused advocacy with expertise in school funding
- A primary focus on the inter-related issues of academic achievement, educational practices and school finance
- Continuing school programs that have led to high student achievement
Who Belongs to GSCS?
- GSCS is a statewide organization, its members spanning New Jersey from Camden County to Bergen County
- Once considered primarily suburban, GSCS members have quintupled since 1992 and now include districts with a range of financial resources.
- Member districts represent approximately 300,000 public school children.
- Participants are a unique mix of parents, board of education members and superintendents who bring a broad perspective to GSCS initiatives.
How Is the Coalition Organized?
- A 24-school district Board of Trustees meets monthly. GSCS has only one full time staff person and is funded solely through member district dues.
- Member districts join through a Board of Education resolution.
What Makes GSCS Effective?
- GSCS is led by a highly motivated, volunteer membership and is grass roots in its decision-making.
- GSCS is tightly organized and able to gather and analyze information and make recommendations in a short time frame.
- GSCS is the only statewide educational organization that serves parents, school administrators Board of Education members.
- GSCS reaches out to work with education partners throughout NJ.
- GSCS maintains a presence in Trenton and is able to mobilize its statewide membership, bringing local educators, parents, and state legislators and policymakers together quickly.
- GSCS is a leading advocate for public support of public education for all children, not just those in one socio-economic group.